Lawmakers’ attempt to override Gov. John Carney’s veto of a bill that would have legalized the use and possession of marijuana failed in the House of Representatives on Tuesday.The override of a governor’s veto would have required a three-fifths majority vote — support the legislation had already received in the House last month — though several representatives revoked their initial support during the vote to override. During the session in the House chamber, Gov. Carney’s veto was upheld by a vote of 20-20, with one not voting.
- Good. I’m glad. — Michael Campbell
- Marijuana equals bad. Alcoholic beverages to go equals good. Got it. — Tom Spittel
- Voters need to replace the old and bring in the new people. — Tammy Shinn
- Hello, New Jersey. — Charlie Harper
- Dems just can’t get it done! Vote Delaware Republican Party, Delaware state House of Representatives’ Republican Caucus in November. Time to vote for real change in Delaware! — Cal William
Speedway near Seaford seeks approval for 4-cylinder vehicles
As its 2021 season raced into autumn, Middleford Speedway owner Greg Mitchell hoped for a checkered flag from Sussex County, gaining permission for vehicles with 4-cylinder engines to race at the facility. Mr. Mitchell applied to the county’s Planning & Zoning Commission for a conditional-use permit for races with Delaware Super Trucks and Delmarva Chargers, both 4-cylinder-type vehicles, on the quarter-mile dirt oval off Coverdale Road, east of Seaford.
- I wonder if it’s possible to get a two- or three-race exemption to run a few Enduro races within the season. I am told the county is not too flexible when it comes to racing in the area, even though this complex has been around for a very long time. These stock vehicles do not create the noise regular race cars do because they do not have the capability to generate that kind of RPMs, and they could run mufflers, as well. This is an amateur drivers’ race, 50 to 100 laps, with no regular drivers participating. If it is approved, Mr. Mitchell may want to try this, as it is a chance for race fans to drive. Check YouTube for Enduro car racing to see this kind of racing. There would be safety rules for the car. Your comment is surely welcome. — Jennifer Tag Lee